Fina Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non Phy medical healers

Go down

Non Phy medical healers Empty Non Phy medical healers

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 am

Healing done by those not of the caste of Physicians
Stanching blood flow with hands and hair
Tupita wept over Mirus, who had fallen, who was unconscious. With her hands and hair she tried to stanch the flow of his blood.
Tupita looked up, frightened, from where she crouched over Mirus. His eyes were now open. Her hair and hands were covered with blood. She had stopped the bleeding. I did not think, however, he could rise.
Dancer

Homemade tourniquet
"The other one may still be alive," said the fellow with the injured arm. The blood was slow on it now, as he had his hand clasped over the wound. Blood, as he held the wound, was between his fingers, and was visible also in rivulets, running to his wrist and the back of his hand.
The wounded man’s arm had apparently stopped bleeding, or nearly so. With one hand, and his teeth, he tore his tunic, and bound cloth about his arm. Some blood came through the cloth, but very little, little more than a sudden, fresh stain, then nothing.
Dancer

I saw one man who lacked an arm, lying on the floor, groaning, the limb having been lost to the unseen beam of the ships above. "My fingers," he cried, "my fingers hurt!" One of the humans by the wall, a girl, knelt by him, holding a cloth, trying to stanch the bleeding. It was Vika! I rushed to her side. "Quick, Cabot!" she cried, "I must make a tourniquet!" I seized the limb of the man and pressing the flesh together managed to retard the bleeding. Vika took the cloth from his wound and, ripping it and using a small steel bar from the sheared wall, quickly fashioned a tourniquet, wrapping it securely about the remains of the man’s arm. The physician’s daughter did the work swiftly, expertly. I rose to leave.
Priest Kings - Vika is a slave at this point, and as such, is without caste. She later is freed and elects to work with Flaminius as a Physician.

Using dagger and leather lacings to sew up gaping wound
Flesh hung, ripped from his body. I tried to press together the wounds.
"Find the lance head," said I, "take the lacings from the blade. Bring me the dagger."
"You cannot save him," said Hassan. The beams beneath the body of the kennel master were drenched with blood. My forehead was drenched with sweat. I saw the wounds in the shifting torchlight above and behind me. There was salt on my hands, blood. I pressed together, as I could, the serrated flesh.
"I did not know there could be so much blood in a man," said one of the men behind me.
"Bring me what I asked for," I said.
The lance shaft broken, was found floating near the raft. The lacings which had reinforced the head were removed. The dagger was thrust in the wood beside me.
Using the dagger as an awl, punching through the flesh, and the long lacing from the lance head, while Hassan held together the edges of the ripped furrows, I crudely sewed together the rent, bloodied meat before me.
Once T'Zshal opened his eyes. "Let me die," he begged.
"I thought you once made the march to Klima," I said.
"I did," said T'Zshal.
"March again to Klima," I told him.
The fists of the kennel master clenched. A bit later be slept.
I leaned back from the body of T'Zshal. "You would not qualify as one of the caste of physicians," said a man behind me.
Hunters - This last remark clearly shows this is seen as a much cruder level of care than one would receive from a member of the Caste of Physicians

Applying Balm to open wounds from whip
The strap which held my bound wrists was cut away from the ring to which it was tied.
I crouched down, under the ring. I did not collapse to the tiles. I was sick. I was aware of the blood on the tiles, beneath me and on my feet. I was aware of the sweat and blood on my body. My hands were still tied before my body. I was conscious of the collar of steel on my neck. I had received fifteen blows of the snake. I knew that twenty blows of that fearsome whip could kill some men.
"Return him to his kennel," she said. "Put balm on his wounds. Feed him later. Let him rest. Tomorrow he will run certain errands for me. Tomorrow, in the evening, send him to my chambers."
Fighting Slave

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum