Fina Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medical supplies

Go down

Medical supplies Empty Medical supplies

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 am

The Caste of Physicians

Named members of Caste of Physicians
Parp - Priest Kings
Flaminius - Assassin
Iskander - Marauders
Tamirus - Dancer
Vika - Priest Kings, Assassin

Caste colors & appearance
Green
Often good manual dexterity
Smooth Shaven

"These tiers shared the color of that portion of the wall behind them, the caste colors.The tier nearest the floor, which denoted some preferential status, the white tier, was occupied by the Initiates, Interpreters of the Will of the Priest Kings. In order, the ascending tiers; blue, yellow, green and red were occupied by representatives of the Scribes, Builders, Physicians, and Warriors."
Tarnsman

“He is a member of the Caste of Physicians,” said Kusk, “and his manual dexterity is superior even to that of Priest-Kings.”
“Of what city?” I asked.
Parp looked at me closely. “Treve,” he said.
Priest-Kings

Two smiths were in the room. There was a guard talking with the smiths. There was also a man in the green of the Caste of Physicians, standing at one side, writing notes on a slip of record paper. He was a large man, smooth-shaven.
Assassin
Women Active in the Caste Work
Normally not admitted to full practice until giving birth to two children
At age 15, given 2 bracelets to wear on left wrist. After birth of each child, a bracelet is removed.
A notable exception to the generalization that women of a given caste normally do not engage in caste work is the caste of Physicians, whose women are commonly trained, as are the boys, in the practice of medicine. Even the physicians, however, normally do not admit their women to full practice until they have borne two children. The purpose of this is to retain a high level of intelligence in the caste. Professional women, it is well understood, tend not to reproduce themselves, a situation which, over time, would be likely to produce a diminution in the quality of the caste. Concern for the future of the caste is thus evinced in this limitation by the physicians on the rights of their women to participate without delay in the caste craft. The welfare of the caste, typically, takes priority in the Gorean mind over the ambitions of specific individuals. The welfare of a larger number of individuals, as the Goreans reason, correctly or incorrectly, is more important than the welfare of a smaller number of individuals.
The woman of the Physicians, at the age of fifteen, in many cities, wears two bracelets on her left wrist. When she has one child one bracelet is removed; when she has a second child the second bracelet is removed. She may then, if she desires, enter into the full practice of her craft.
Fighting Slave
Employed in Wealthy "Houses"
The selection of the girls, incidentally, is determined by judges in their city, or of their own people, in Turia by members of the Caste of Physicians who have served in the great slave houses of Ar;
Nomads

She had then been examined thoroughly by the Physicians of the House of Cernus.
Assassin

No longer,” said he. “I left the Cylinder of Physicians and the next day took service in the House of Cernus, where I have been for many years. I am content here. I am well paid. I have much gold, and some power, and my pick of Red Silk Girls. What man could ask for more?”
Assassin

I had found that I could stand on the leg. It had been lacerated but none of the long, rough-edged wounds was deep. I would have it soon treated by a physician in my own holding.
Raiders

In the garrison there are one hundred men and five officers,” said Sucha. “There are twenty men who are ancillary personnel, a physician, porters, scribes and such.”
Slave Girl
Tools of the trade
Microscope-like machine
Many un-named instruments of advanced medicine
Physicians tape
Needles for shots
Syringes
Vials
Kit
White cloth & metal clips for bandanges
Further, certain pieces of his instrumentation were clearly far from primitive. For example, there was a small machine with gauges and dials. In this he would place slides, containing drops of blood and urine, flecks of tissue, a strand of hair. With a stylus he would note readings on the machine, and, on the small screen at the top of the machine, I saw, vastly enlarged, what reminded me of an image witnessed under a microscope. He would briefly study this image, and then make further jottings with his stylus. The guard had strictly forbidden me to speak to the physician, other than to answer his questions, which I was to do promptly and accurately, regardless of their nature.
Captive

Rim, from his own pouch, handed up to her a tiny steel half crescent, ground from the blade of a shaving knife. Part of it, wrapped in physician’s tape, was bent and fitted behind her two fingers. The blade, as it projected from between her two fingers, was almost invisible.
Hunters

The physician was busying himself with fluids and a syringe before a shelf in another part of the room, laden with vials.
I screamed. The shot was painful. It was entered in the small of my back, over the left hip.

Captive

A physician entered the booth, with his kit slung over the shoulder of his green robes. He began to attend to the merchant.
Beasts

Flaminius, swiftly wrapping a white cloth about the wound, securing it with four small metal snap clips.
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Medical supplies Empty Re: Medical supplies

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 am

Items available for treatment
Chemical sterilizers
When the physician had finished the cleansing, chemical sterilization and dressing of the merchant’s wounds, he left.
Beasts

Balm
"Put balm on his wounds.
Fighting Slave

Sedatives (drug tending to calm, moderate, or tranquilize nervousness or excitement)
"Sometimes," said Flaminius, "shock cannot be so easily prevented. Indeed, sometimes the lash itself drives the girl into shock. Then sedations and drugs are called for.
Assassin

Sedative in a shot, a small amount keeps the slave sleeping for "better than an ahn"
The man with the Thief's scar again emerged from the ship, this time with a syringe. He injected a tiny bit of serum into each girl, entering the needle in the girl's back, on the left side between the hip and backbone, passing the needle each time into a small vial he held in his left hand.
The girl who had been stirring uneasily rolled about once, tossing her head to one side, as though in fever, and then her movements subsided and she lay quietly, sedated.
"They will not awaken now," said the man with the Thief's scar, "for better than an Ahn."
One of the men-at-arms laughed. "When they do," he said, "they will find themselves in the slave kennels." Several of the others laughed.
Assassins

Ointment / salve for cuts
He touched the bloodied cut on my belly, where the branch had struck me. Then, with his hand, he lifted my head, turning it, looking at the cut on my cheek. "We are not pleased," he said. I said nothing.
"Bring salve," he said. An ointment was brought, and he smeared it across the two cuts. It was odorless. To my surprise it seemed to be absorbed almost immediately.
"You must be careful," he said. Again I said nothing.
"You might have marked yourself," he said, "or might have been blinded." He returned the ointment to another man.
"They are superficial," he told me, "and will heal without trace."
--Captive

Emetics (an agent that induces vomiting)
"Some girls I have been told sometimes try to swallow small coins but this is foolish. The coin can be produced swiftly enough in such cases by emetics and laxatives."
Dancer

Laxative (Mild drug to loosen bowels, relieve constipation)
"Some girls I have been told sometimes try to swallow small coins but this is foolish. The coin can be produced swiftly enough in such cases by emetics and laxatives."
Dancer

Sleeping Potion / Tranquilizer(described to be different than Tassa Powder)
)) "Kamchak said nothing, but then he got up and from a chest in the wagon he took forth a goblet and filled it with an amber fluid, into which he shook a dark, bluish powder. He then took Elizabeth Cardwel in his left arm and with his right hand gave her the drink. Her eyes were frightened, but she drank. In a few moments she was asleep."
Nomads

Cathartic (medicine that causes purging of the system)
In a higher class market girls are usually fed a cathartic a few hours before the sale, and forced to relieve themselves shortly before their sale, a kettle passed down the line.
Explorers

Back to top Go down